POINT: GB-39 (GALLBLADDER-39)
|Also Known As:
- 3 cun above the tip of the external malleolus on the anterior border of the fibula.
- 3 cun directly above the lateral malleolus, in the depression between the posterior border of the fibula and the tendons of the peroneus longus and brevis.
Locate one handbreadth proximal to the prominence of the lateral malleolus.
- Perpendicular insertion 1 to 1.5 cun. Separate the peroneal tendons from the fibula to emphasize the groove. Needle posteriorly 0.5 cun and the perpendicularly to avoid hitting the fibula. Needle this point last to avoid a bent needle when the foot is moved. Do not move leg or foot after needling.
- Straight insertion, 1 to 2 cun, may be joined to SP-6 Sanyinjiao. Sensation of local distention and soreness, possibly extending to the sole of the foot.
- Moxibustion is applicable.
- Influential point of the Marrow
- Junction of the three Lower Yang channels
- Benefits the sinews and bones
- Benefits the neck
- Activates the channel
- Alleviates pain
- Regulates the Gallbladder
- Cools the Gallbladder
- Extinguishes Liver Wind
- Dispels Wind
- Dispels Wind and Dampness
- Clears Heat
- Strengthens the bones
- Benefits Jing
- Nourishes Marrow
- Transforms Damp-Heat
- Descends Rebellious Qi
- Benefits the ears
Swollen and distended chest and abdomen
Coldness and pain of the bone marrow
Curvature of the lumbar spine
Windstroke with one-sided withering and incessant pain
Flaccidity of the legs with difficulty walking (first needle GB-39, then the others)
Pain of the ankle and heel
Fullness and distention of the Heart and abdomen
Hot Stomach with no pleasure in eating
- The most important function of this point is that it nourishes Kidney Jing and marrow.
- It is an important point to remove obstruction from the Shao Yang channels in lateral side of the neck.
- The regular use of this point in the elderly prevents Wind-Stoke.
- This point summons Qi to the feet and lower limbs for conditions such as paralysis. It is said to only work occasionally. Make sure that the connection channels are of the same pulse quality/ quantity.
- This point has an ability to affect hearing.
- This point is related to erythropoesis and leukopoiesis.