POINT: UB-43 (URINARY BLADDER-43)
|Vital Region Shu
|Also Known As:
|Rich for the Vitals Correspondence
Fatty Vital Hollow
- Three cun lateral to the DU channel, at the level of the lower border of the spinous process of the fourth thoracic vertebra, on the spinal border of the scapula.
- Three cun lateral to the midline, level with the lower border of the spinous process of the fourth thoracic vertebra and level with UB-14 Jueyinxu.
When the shoulder is relaxed, the three cun line corresponds with the border of the scapula.
- Insert perpendicularly 0.3 to 0.5 cun.
- Oblique insertion 0.3 to 0.5 cun.
- Slanted insertion away from the spine, 0.5 to 1 cun.
Sensation of local distention and soreness sometimes extending to the shoulder. Caution: do not needle too deeply to avoid puncturing the Lung.
- Moxibustion is applicable.
- Regulates the Lungs
- Nourishes Lung Yin
- Expands and relaxes the chest
- Regulates and tonifies Qi and Blood
- Moistens Dryness
- Transforms Phlegm and Cold Phlegm
- Descends Rebellious Qi
- Tonifies Kidney Yin and Yang
- Warms the Yang
- Calms the Shen
- Restores Collapsed Yang
- Regulates and tonifies Heart Qi
- Strengthens Deficiency
- Nourishes Jing
- Invigorates the mind
- Stops cough and calms asthma
- Tonifies and nourishes Lung, Heart, Kidneys, Spleen and Stomach
- Nourishes Yin
- Clears Heat
- Fosters Yuan Qi
Pulmonary tuberculosis (use moxibustion)
General weakness caused by prolonged illness
The hundred syndromes of Deficiency-taxation
Spontaneous sweating (use moxibustion)
- This point deeply revives the Fire of Life.
- It is the best point for the quality/quantity of Blood.
- For extreme anemia, use fifty to one hundred moxa cones.
- It treats Blood afflictions of speech and stuttering where the Fire needs great replenishment at a deep level.
- The name refers to this points relationship to the innermost part of the body, thought to fatty tissue between the Heart and diaphragm. Diseases which settle in this area are thought to be beyond cure. This point effectively treats chronic conditions which do not respond to conventional treatment.
- Taosists believe that proper use of this point produces immortality.
- This point is used when the patient cannot remain sitting, cannot take her knees in her arms or cannot bend the vertebral column.
- To tonify the Qi of the whole body in a very debilitated person, use moxibustion.
- If the patient has Phlegm Accumulation, when the point is stimulated,he or she will feel energy like a torrent of water.
- Many classical texts forbid needling this point and recommend only moxibustion. 100 to 500 moxa cones are recommended. If the patient is too fatigued to remain sitting up for the treatment, he may lie on his side. REN-3 Zhongji, REN-4 Guanyuan and REN-6 Qihai may be combined with this treatment.
- In case of Excess Heat, moxa ST-36 Zusanli, to bring the Heat down to the lower part of the body
- Texts also recommend that after moxibustion on this point, moxa should also be applied to REN-6 Qihai and REN-4 Guanyuan in order to conduct the Heat downward.
- This is a good emotional control point.
- The name of this point is said to relate to the fatty tissue between the Heart and the diaphragm.
- This is an excellent point for chronic disease.
- It is used for difficult cases.
- For a patient under 20 years old, do not moxa, it can cause an accumulation of Heat in the Upper Jiao..