POINT: DU-3 (GOVERNING VESSEL-3)
|English:||Lumbar Yang Gate|
|Also Known As:||Lumbar Yang's Hinge
Gate of Yang
Loins Yang Border
- On the midline of the lower back, in the depression below the spinous process of the fourth lumbar vertebra.
Note: this point is located one intervertebral space below the line connecting the highest points of the two iliac crests.
- Perpendicular insertion 0.5 to 1 cun.
- Caution: the spinal cord lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build.
- Below the spinous process of the fourth lumbar vertebra, at the level of the crista iliaca.
- Moxibustion is applicable.
- Between the spinous processes of the fourth and fifth lumbar vertebrae.
- Dispels Wind-Damp
- Benefits the lumbar region and legs
- Regulates the lower Jiao
- Tonifies Yang
- Regulates Kidney Qi
- Benefits the lower back and knees
- Eliminates Cold-Dampness
- The primary use for this point is in treatment of low back and leg disorders, particularly if they are due to Kidney Yang Deficiency.
- This point is said to be especially good for vaginal discharge with mucus and Phlegm.