POINT: DU-4 (GOVERNING VESSEL-4)
|English:||Gate of Life|
|Also Known As:||Vital Gate
Gate of Destiny
Palace of Essence
- Inferior to the spinous process of the second lumbar vertebra, on the posterior midline.
- Between the spinous processes of the second and third lumbar vertebrae.
- On the midline of the lower back, in the depression below the spinous process of the second lumbar vertebra.
- Note: The point is located one intervertebral space below the lines connecting the highest points of the two iliac crests, level with the lower border of L-3.
- Straight insertion, pointed slightly toward the spine, 1 to 1.5 cun. Sensation: local distention. If the needle is inserted too deeply, there is an electric, numb sensation extending into the lower limb.
- Puncture perpendicularly 0.5 to 1 cun.
- Moxibustion is applicable.
- Caution: the spinal cord lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build.
- Tonifies the Kidneys
- Tonifies Kidney Yang
- Tonifies Yuan Qi
- Regulates the water pathways
- Dries Dampness and Cold-Damp
- Warms the Yang
- Warms Cold
- Warms the Ming Men
- Tonifies the lower back
- Benefits the lumbar vertebrae
- Tonifies bones
- Strengthens Jing
- Stabilizes Kidney Qi
- Calms the fetus
- Calms the Shen
- Benefits and clears the Brain
- Restores collapsed Yang
- Clears Heat
- Regulates the DU channel
Iron deficiency anemia
Copious urine in the elderly (moxa)
Lumbar pain in the elderly
Heat in the body like Fire
- Be careful with moxa. Make sure there is no Heat anywhere.
- According to a number of classical texts, this point is contraindicated to moxibustion in those who are under twenty years of age.
- This is the most powerful point to strengthen Kidney Yang, especially with moxa.
- It is considered to be a rejuvenation point.
- This point is indicated for Heat disorders, whether Interior or Exterior or Excess or Deficient.
- It affects the testes, adrenals and ovaries.