POINT: SP-21 (SPLEEN-21)
|Also Known As:||Great Enveloping
- Located on the mid-axillary line, in the seventh intercostal space.
Note: several sources locate this point in the sixth intercostal space.
- On the mid-axillary line, 6 cun below the middle of the axilla in the seventh intercostal space.
- On the lateral side of the chest, on the middle axillary line, in the sixth intercostal space.
- Located in the sixth intercostal space on the mid-axillary line between the axilla and the free end of the eleventh rib.
- Slanted insertion, 0.5 to 0.8 cun.
- Puncture obliquely 0.3 to 0.5 cun.
- Moxibustion is applicable.
- Transverse-oblique insertion along the intercostal space, 0.5 to 1 cun.
- Caution: perpendicular insertion, especially in thin patients, carries substantial risk of inducing a pneumothorax.
- Great Luo-Connecting point of the Spleen
- Moves Blood in the Blood Connecting channels
- Regulates Qi and Blood
- Firms the sinews and joints
- Unbinds the chest
- Benefits the lateral costal region
- This is a very powerful point, but not often used.
- It controls all of the minute Blood Connecting channels.
- This point connects this point connects Yin and Yang.
- It fuses the six Fu with the five Zang.
- It harmonizes the upper and lower body, the Internal to the External and the right side to the left.
- This point can be used for emergencies.